Launched in early 2015, Resorts is the largest NJ online casino in terms of game selection, albeit by a small margin. It has two sister sites — Mohegan Sun, which runs on the same casino software, and PokerStars Casino, which is powered by a Stars Group proprietary package.
The local partner of all three sites is Resorts Casino Hotel, which is located in Atlantic City.
Resorts Casino has a lot of things going for it, including strong branding, a great mobile app, and overall technical excellence, but unfortunately it also has several shortcomings that keep it from dominating the fenced New Jersey iGaming market. Read on to learn more.
Don’t forget: You can claim the welcome bonus below at BOTH Resorts and Mohegan Sun, which just increases the value.
Resorts Online Casino’s welcome package
|Resorts Online Promo Code||MAXBONUS|
|Free Play Bonus (No Deposit Required)||$20 Free|
|Bonus On First Deposit||100% Match Up To $1,000|
|Land-Based Casino Partner||Resorts AC|
|Last verified:||February 9, 2018|
Deposit bonus: $20 free
New players who sign up through our site can get $20 free — create a new Resorts Casino account and enter MAXBONUS as your promotional code. This bonus comes with a 5x wager requirement on slots and a 25x wager requirement on table games and video poker.
Consequently, you’ll have to wager $100 on slots or $500 on other games before you’ll be allowed to request a cash out. We’ve mentioned that you should avoid roulette and risky slots when clearing the matched deposit bonus, and the same holds true for the free cash bonus – to reduce your risk, stick to high RTP video poker games and blackjack. If you’re impatient, you can also try high-RTP slots.
100% match on deposits up to $1,000
You will receive a bonus equal to your deposit size, up to a maximum of $1,000. These promotional funds come with a 20x wagering requirement. This means that if you deposit $200, you’ll have to bet at least 20 x $200 = $4,000 before you’ll be allowed to withdraw your winnings.
What’s more, table games and video poker don’t contribute towards clearing the bonus in the same way as slots do, since each $1 wagered on those games will count as 20 cents.
The above means that if you want to clear your bonus by playing a video poker game, such as Jacks or Better (99.54 percent RTP), you would have to wager $20,000 to clear the $200 bonus, which is five times more than what you would have to wager on slots.
Keep in mind that the odds of actually getting ahead on the bonus are still quite high, unless you plan on spending most of your time playing roulette or high volatility slots.
Why play at Resorts Online Casino?
#1 – Slot games
With 440 games, Resorts Casino has the largest online slot library in New Jersey, edging slightly ahead of the Golden Nugget (437) and Mohegan Sun (430). Even better, the vast majority of those games has been designed by leading casino software developers, such as Aristocrat, NetEnt, IGT, NYX Gaming, and Williams Interactive.
Most of those games are modern five reel video slots, which come with crisp graphics and plenty of bonus features. However, you’ll also find classic three-reel machines and progressive jackpot games. The most popular titles include Fastpick, The Cheshire Cat, Mata Hari, Michelangelo, Double DaVinci Diamonds, and Reel’em In.
#2 – Cashiering options
Regulated NJ casinos usually provide their customers with plenty of banking methods to choose from, especially when compared with unlicensed offshore sites. But Resorts is one of the few casinos that actually cover most of the viable options.
Whether you want to use an e-wallet or pay at your local 7-Eleven, this site has you covered. It’s worth noting that while having a lot of options is nice, it doesn’t mean that all of them are viable. For instance, if your eCheck payment bounces, you’ll have to cover all fees involved in the transaction, both ways.
#3 – Great software
Resorts Casino is powered by Open Platform System, which is supplied by NYX Gaming. The software is absolutely top-notch in terms of stability, aesthetics, and game compatibility, all of which makes it quite popular among online casino operators.
The same holds true for Resorts’ mobile application, which is essentially flawless from a technical standpoint. However, this level of outsourced excellence has its drawbacks, which become evident as soon as you visit another NYX casino site and notice the similarities between them and Resorts.
Areas Resorts Casino could improve
- Uniqueness: The popularity of NYX Gaming’s OPS platform is both a blessing and a curse, as Resorts Casino simply lacks the uniqueness that makes sites which run on quality proprietary software feel extra special. Unfortunately, you don’t have to be a grizzled casino veteran to experience this, as Mohegan Sun — Resorts’ NJ-facing sister site — is powered by the same system. Consequently, the sites differ mostly in terms of color palette — virtually everything else is identical between the two. To put it simply, if you already have a Mohegan Sun account, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a compelling reason for opening a Resorts Casino account – perhaps with the exception of taking advantage of available bonuses.
- Recurring promotions: The recurring promotions available to Resorts Casino’s customers aren’t updated as frequently as those on sites like Harrah’s, Virgin Casino, Pala, or playMGM. Nevertheless, it’s worth pointing out that Resorts’ promotions are more varied than those available at Mohegan Sun, which is significant considering both sites are almost carbon-copies of one another. Compared to Mohegan Sun, Resorts offers more gadget giveaways at the cost of slightly tuned-down cash bonuses.
- The grind: Recreational players are likely to be annoyed at how long the casino’s first deposit bonus takes to clear, as well as how difficult it is to reach higher cashback offers through the VIP program. A rather modest $100 welcome bonus requires you to bet $2,000 on slots or a whopping $10,000 on table games before a withdrawal will be allowed.
Resorts Casino on mobile devices
Modern online casinos can’t get away with having no dedicated mobile application, and whether they like it or not, regulated NJ sites have to play by the same rules as the rest of the world. Resorts Casino seems to be well aware of this fact, as their app is available for both iOS and Android and is frequently updated.
The current version rolled out in July 2017 and requires a fairly modern device to run properly. It gives players access to 200 quality casino games which include slots, blackjack, roulette, and video poker. This means that desktop users have access to more than twice as many titles, but a mobile library of this size is still very impressive.
To put this into perspective, some well-regarded NJ-facing sites, such as Virgin and Tropicana, offer less than 180 games in total – and that’s through their desktop software.
While quantity has a quality of its own, we are happy to report that the app is free of serious technical flaws and glitches. The overall gaming experience was positive, and the games are well adjusted for mobile play. Games are quick to load and the action flows nicely, as long as your on a stable and reasonably fast internet connection.
The app gives you access to the same features as the desktop client. You can request a withdrawal or make a deposit using the cashier menu, view available promotions, or access the Help Center.
All things considered, Resorts’ mobile app is among the best in the industry.
Resorts online casino: Deposits and withdrawals
Available deposit options include:
- Bank Transfer
- Casino cage
- Visa or MasterCard
We recommend sticking to PayPal whenever possible, as it gives you a safe, reliable and fast way of funding your account. ResortsCard is probably the second best option – functionally, it’s a prepaid Discover card that’s available exclusively to Resorts Casino patrons. PayNearMe is also fine, as long as you don’t mind the hassle of visiting your local 7-Eleven. The same holds true for making a direct deposit at the casino cage – great if you were already planning to visit Resorts Casino-Hotel in Atlantic City.
We definitely recommend avoiding Visa and MasterCard, as well as eChecks, due to the depressingly-low transaction success rates.
Available withdrawal options include:
- Casino cage
It’s worth noting that, unlike payments, cash-outs aren’t processed instantly — as the casino has to manually check every request in order to guarantee customer safety. This process usually takes less than 48 hours and may require undergoing some additional verification, particularly for first-time withdrawals.
Available stakes at Resorts online casino
Resorts Casino allows you to adjust your bets to the size of your bankroll. In most slots, you can activate all paylines for less than 50 cents. If you’re a high-roller and want to go hard, you’ll be able to bet as much as $50 on most games.
When it comes to table games, the minimum hovers around the 10 cent mark and goes as high as $1,000 for some blackjack and roulette games.
Slot feature: DaVinci Diamonds
Other games may be more popular among casual casino enthusiasts, but there’s a good reason why many slots veterans really like DaVinci Diamonds. It’s not about the Renaissance elegance, the smooth action, nor even the exciting Tumbling Reels feature that occasionally makes your screen explode with winning combinations when you nail that one crucial line.
What really matters in this 5-reel, 20-line slot from IGT is the 95%+ RTP, which makes it an excellent choice for clearing either of the welcome bonuses offered by Resorts Casino. There are very few games that combine dynamic action, relatively low variance, and the potential for huge, satisfying payouts, but in our opinion, this slot nails it.
If you end up liking DaVinci Diamonds, you might also want to check out Double DaVinci Diamonds and Pixies of the Forest.
Table games feature: IGT Blackjack
Another timeless classic from IGT. The rules are favorable and you should be familiar with them if you’ve ever played blackjack in a land-based Atlantic City casino:
- The dealer will stand on hard 17s.
- Naturals pay 3:2
- Doubling down on any two cards is allowed
- One re-split per hand is allowed
- Double after split is allowed
- Only one card will be dealt per split hand if you split Aces
- Six decks are in play
- Decks are reshuffled after every hand
Player perks at Resorts Casino
Resorts Casino tier-based program is called Resorts Rewards. Unlike in the case of Pala or Scores, the amount of work you’re required to put into advancing up the ladder simply isn’t worth the reward, especially considering you have to work hard every month to maintain your tier. Reward Points are accrued at the following rates:
- 1 RP for every $2 in slot wagers
- 1 RP for every $4 in roulette wagers
- 1 RP for every $8 in table game wagers
There are five basic tiers ranging from Bronze to Diamond. Reaching Diamond requires you to accumulate 40,000 RP in one month, which means that you’d have to wager $80,000 on slots – and even then, you’d still have to spend 222 points for $1, which essentially translates to a 0.23 percent cashback offer on slots, and only a fourth of that for table game wagers.
Echelon Rewards are loyalty levels for VIP players who earn 75,000 RPs or more on a monthly basis. Available levels include Echelon, Echelon Plus, Echelon Elite, and Echelon Black. Compared to basic tiers, cashback is slightly better for Echelon players.
However, consider the following: Is a 0.25 percent cashback on slots worth betting $150,000, when you can get a 0.34 percent cashback at Pala by betting only $1,250?
Resorts Casino player tools
Resorts Casino provides access to a set of responsible gambling tools, which can be accessed through the Player Protection menu located at the bottom of the casino page. Please can choose to limit the size of their deposit, total net losses incurred, and time spent playing.
Limits can be set for a day or months. Keep in mind that you can lower your limits at any time, but can only increase them after certain requirements are met.
And if you feel like a more permanent break is in order, you can take advantage of New Jersey’s voluntary Self-Exclusion Program, which precludes you from participating in any online gambling activities in the state. The self-exclusion periods range from one year to five years. The entire procedure can be completed online.
Whether you’re using Resort’s browser-based software or their dedicated mobile application, you will have full access to all cashiering options, Reward Points balance, transaction history, and all available promotions.
Like all online casino sites which are regulated by the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, Resorts Casino has to follow certain operational guidelines. These include isolating all player funds from other company assets to guarantee liquidity, as well as providing players with sufficient responsible gambling options.
Resorts Casino relies on the latest encryption technologies, such as Secure Socket Layer protocols, to protect your personal data. This makes it impossible for anyone to gain unauthorized access to your account as long as you keep your log-in credentials safe.
Keep in mind that launching the desktop version of Resorts’ client requires you to install a geo-location plugin, which will allow the casino to determine whether you’re playing from within the borders of the state or not.
The casino’s random number generators are provided by independent software developers and undergo regular fairness audits.
Resorts Casino updates February 2018
Revenue reports from 2017 were published in late January, and revealed that land-based partner Resorts AC raked in $42.9 million, thanks to online casinos Resorts, Mohegan Sun, and Poker Stars brands. Even better is the fact that their casino revenue grew 44 percent year over year, while poker grew 12 percent.
Resorts debuted 15 new slots in the month of January, bringing their total slot count up to 440, the most of any NJ online casino as of this writing. Included in those new offerings are 8 scratch card games and 5 new virtual sports betting games from Inspired Entertainment:
- Virtual Soccer: The league is made of 19 teams, with two teams competing during each event. Matches last up to 2 minutes and provide highlight reels and select clips from the staged match. You can wager on Correct Score, Match Betting (who will win, lose draw), Total Goals, Over/Under 2.5 Goals, Halftime Score, First Team to Score and Last Team to Score.
- Virtual Horse Racing: Here you will have 16 horses racing around an oval track. You’ll feel like your at the rail cheering them on, as the visuals are pretty realistic, you can hear the pounding of the hooves, and the announcer stirs up the crowd. You can bet on a horse to Win, Place, or Show or go for the Exacta or Trifecta.
- Virtual Greyhounds: Only 6 dogs participate in races at Chairman’s Greyhound Park, in similar fashion to the above-mentioned horses. Bets are also the same.
- Virtual Motor Racing/Cars: These races take place at the virtual Parkway International Speedway. Twelve cars will make 2 laps around the oval track, complete with green infield, billboards and stands filled with cheering fans. You can bet to Win, Place, or Show or, like with Virtual Horses, bet the Exacta or Trifecta.
- Virtual Motorcycle Racing: Five competitors race around the oval dirt track to the finish line at the Jersey Shore Speedbowl. Same adoring fans, lively announcer, and bets as with car racing.
Resorts Online Casino Review
Resorts Casino is a great iGaming site with an absolutely massive game library, particularly when it comes to slots, as well as decent welcome bonuses. However, their underwhelming loyalty program prevents us from naming it one of New Jersey's top casinos. We recommend Resorts to players looking to capitalize on our exclusive $20 no deposit bonus, as well as those in search of phenomenal game variety. As for players looking to extract maximum value out of their gambling activities, they would probably be better served by looking for an alternative.